Anecdotal Evidence .

Monday, October 10, 2022

In the name of God?

I am flabbergasted by the varied news stories, left and right, reporting the ease with which America’s Christian community is embracing the values of the “new” Republican Party which, by its own disguised admission, is discarding many of the principles taught in the Sermon on the Mount.

And pastors are telling their flocks this is all okay because King David was forgiven of adultery. So, not to worry; we’ll be forgiven, too. I wonder if that’s the lesson of the King David story? Besides, if we are doing God’s Will, why will we need forgiveness? And if we know we are not doing God’s Will (and so will need forgiveness), why are we doing it?

I am 83. An old man. When my time comes, and St Peter asks me about this stuff, how should I respond? “Well, you see, it’s like this. We knew God wanted us to take control of the White House and the Senate and the House, right? And so we tried to do it. To please Him, of course. Not for us; oh, no, we have no ambitions. Sure, we strayed a bit, well, a lot, but it was for a sainted cause. Right? And that makes it okay. Right? So You’ll let me in, right?”

I don’t know. Seems like a long shot.